Working with Texts: A Core Introduction to Language Analysis (Critical Realism--Interventions Series)
This best-selling introduction to language studies includes a huge range of activities and projects, introducing core areas of language structure and grammar through analysis of real texts. Ideal for both A level and beginning undergraduate students, this second edition includes:
- an introductory section on how to use the book
- material on spoken and written language, children's language, language and ideology
- an range of texts, including advertisements, beer mats, horoscopes, newspaper articles, junk mail, political speeches
- extensions suggesting project work with an answer key at the back
- a concluding section giving students practice in analyzing the different topics explored throughout the book.